"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Monday, January 6, 2020

Get Your Learn On

Maybe you already know this, but even if you do, I have never been one to not talk about myself...

I teach fly tying classes all over the greater Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area! And if you are in the area and have wanted to learn how to tie flies but have been putting it off, now is the time to stop the putting it off!
Flies you will learn how to tie!

And here's the thing: Not only will you learn how to tie flies, but you'll have fun doing it. If you don't have fun, that's your fault, because I most definitely will do everything I can to make it fun. I came very close to offering a 100% Fun Guarantee, but in my 45+ years on God's Green Earth I have learned that some people don't have fun no matter how much fun there is to be had...
Don't recycle it before you have a chance to leaf through it!

Here's how it works: You leaf through your local Community Education catalog that gets mailed to your house, you find the page where it lists my Joy of Fly Tying class, you get on your local Community Ed's website, and you register for the class. That's all there is to it! I will take care of all the rest (not including picking you up at your house on the nights of class. You will have to get to the class site on your own.) I provide all the tools and materials that you will need in class, and even let you take the tools with you between classes so you can practice at home! Each class night I will teach you how to tie three distinct flies, for a total of nine (9!) flies throughout the 3-week class. While tying those 9 flies you will learn the techniques that are required to tie 75% of all the flies that have ever been invented! What could be better?!?!
Will you learn how to tie a Wooly Bugger?!?! Of course!

We will use nothing but the best brands of hooks, thread, and other materials, ensuring that our flies will be well-built, provided that you can follow my tying directions... The tool sets you will be using are filled with quality tools and an excellent beginning-level vise, made by either Griffin Enterprises or the D.H. Thompson Company.
Will you learn how to tie a Highly Adequate Parachute fly?!?! YES!

We will start out with a couple of pretty basic fly patterns, and build on those first techniques as we go through class. By the end of class you will be able to tie fish-catching flies that you will be proud to say came from your own two hands.
Me and some totally enthralled students.

I have three sessions of classes coming up this Winter/Spring: First up is my class in South Washington County which starts on Tuesday, February 4th, at 6:30PM at East Ridge High School. After that I will be teaching at Como High School in St. Paul starting on Monday, April 13th, also at 6:30PM. Finally I will be up in Forest Lake starting on Tuesday, May 5th, again at 6:30PM. There is a good chance I will also be offering it in New Brighton in March, but those dates aren't set yet. Check back here if that option interests you!
A thoroughly happy graduate of my class!

Along with all the knowledge, you will also get a biz card and either a magnet...

...or a fun sticker!

And of course, you can then go out and catch some trouts on your own flies! Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment