"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Monday, January 7, 2019

Son of Rod Love: Steffen 7'6" 3-Weight


Have you heard of Steffen Fly Rods? No? I hadn't either, until I got deeper and deeper into the world of fiberglass rods. Steffen is a small company in Arizona that rolls their own glass blanks. They have the reputation of making some of the best casting rods in the business, so of course I made it a goal to try out some. The first Steffen rod I was lucky enough to acquire was this sweet 7'6" 2/3weight beauty.




It's listed as a 2 or a 3 weight, and I love it with a 3-weight Weight Forward line. In my opinion it is just about a perfect bluegill and brook trout rod. It can handle nymphs and small buggers easily, and it loves dry flies, poppers and foam bodied spiders. The rod loads terrifically in close, yet I can easily cast up to 50 feet with very good accuracy. As I say about most of the fly rods I own, this is one sweet rod!
 
Make sure you check out Steffen Fly Rods!


2 comments:

  1. I had the good fortune of acquiring two Steffen graphite rods back in the late eighties when they were still making graphite rods. I have a 7 1/2' 5 weight graphite, and an 8 1/2' 8 weight graphite rod. Both beautiful rods. I wouldn't trade them for anything. I would love to add one of their glass rods to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to try a Steffen graphite some day! I don't remember ever seeing one come up for sale... The people who own them must love them too much to sell them!

      Delete