"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Philling My Phillipson Phissure

For the past few months there has been something missing in my fly fishing life. To be more accurate, there has been something missing from my rod arsenal. To be totally pinpoint accurate, there hasn't been a Philipson rod in my quiver. I have nobody but myself to blame for that, since I am the one who sold my last Phillipson rod a few months ago. I sold it to help fund the purchase of another rod, which is cool, but I missed that Phillipson rod, which was not cool. Ever since I put the last piece of tape on the cardboard shipping tube, I've been looking for another Phillipson rod to take its place.

I have owned a handful of Phillipson rods over the past few years, and like all brands of fly rods, I have liked some and thought some left a little to be desired. My favorite was the Phillipson Royal 7' 6wt that was most recently sold. It was as smooth as butter, yet it had power to spare and a deft touch, all attributes that make a rod sweet. Another Phillipson-built rod that I enjoyed was an Orvis Golden Eagle 7' 5wt that I had a couple of years ago, although I would say it was more of a 3wt than a 5wt. I tried it with a 4wt line and it still felt overpowered. If I had needed another 3wt rod I probably would have kept it, but I already had a Scott and a Steffen 3wt, so off it went.

As I mentioned earlier, as soon as I sent off my beloved Phillipson Royal to its new owner, I started looking for a replacement. It took a few months, but I am happy to say its replacement has arrived. And it's just as sweet of a rod as the Royal was. It's an old Phillipson-built LL Bean rod labeled the "Beans Double L", and it's another 7' 6wt. It's even the same color deep red that my Royal was. I took the Double L out on the yard/snow yesterday afternoon, and it made all the casts I asked it to. The real test will come when the ice finally melts on the lakes and I can try it out on my local sunfish/bass/carps, but the way Spring is going around here that might not happen until 2036. I will let you know how it works out.


2 comments:

  1. Scott, I had a Phillipson Royal many years ago and it was in fact a great rod. Sold it. I sold a Wright and Mcgill Granger Special that I picked up really cheap at a pawn shop, had it refinished and thought it was too pretty to fish so I sold it. I recently found an old WM Columbine, a rare rod I've been looking for, for 10 years. It was on ebay. I lost the auction by one dollar. Such is the life of a fly fisherman I guess. Regrets...I've had a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel your pain, Howard. I often think I am done getting rid of my favorite rods, only to find something I think will be cooler and better. Sometimes they are cooler and better, but that doesn't mean I also don't miss whatever I sacrificed to get them...

      Delete