"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Great Waters Expo, Day 2

Today was Day 2 of the Great Waters Fly Fishing Expo here in the Twin Cities. It was a lot like yesterday, only there were way more people there today. I'm sure the fact that it was a beautiful 50 degree day here on the frozen tundra made people want to get out and do something, and a large portion of those people came to the Expo. I spent a majority of the day tying more flies. I had a lot of people stop by my table to watch me tie, including two of my former students from my Joy of Fly Tying classes. Coincidentally enough, both of those former students are named Steve... Maybe I should make a rule that all of my future students are named Steve, since it seems that my tutelage only really works on Steves... It's something to think about at least.


The best part of the day was when The Wife and The Four Kids stopped by to see me. They got to see me tie a Stimulator and interact with the public. I'm pretty sure they were amazed at my ability in both those regards. Actually it was quite obvious that they were more impressed with the live aquatic insects that local esteemed entomologist Dean Hansen had at the show. All four of my kids ooohed and aaahed while peering into the plethora of tubs that held countless mayfly, caddisfly, stonefly, dragonfly and damselfly nymphs. They were speechless when they saw the enormous hellgrammites. And they squealed with disgust when Dean picked up a 5-inch-long hellgrammite and asked them if they wanted to pet it. I like bugs, but even I didn't want to pet that thing! It looked like it could take my pinky finger off with a slash of its jaws. No thank you!
The King Daddy of all hellgrammites!

Other than that, the day pretty much revolved around flies. I started out tying more rubber-leg Stimulators like yesterday, only in different colors. From there I moved on to some yellow Madame X's, but I wasn't real happy with the way they were looking, so I went back to tying more Stimulators in even more colors.
Rubber Leg Stimulator
Yellow Madame X. Meh...
Regular old Stimulator
Tomorrow is the last day of the Expo for this year. If you are anywhere near the Twin Cities and are in any way interested in fly fishing, I highly suggest you drop everything and head over there. If you do, swing on through the fly tying area and say Hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment