"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Friday, March 16, 2018

Great Waters Expo, Day 1

Today was the first day of the annual Great Waters Fly Fishing Expo here in the Twin Cities. Over the years it's been held at several different venues in various parts of the metro area, from Bloomington to Blaine to White Bear Lake. Now, for what I believe is the third year, it is being held on the campus of Hamline University in St. Paul. I have enjoyed this current venue the best, and I'm not just saying that because it's the closest it's ever been to my house. It also is a great venue! Lots of space, the presentation rooms are close to the main area, and the fly tying area is huge. That's where I usually spend most of my time, and this year is no exception. I did some demonstration tying today from 1-7pm, I will be there tomorrow from 9am-6pm, and I will also be there on Sunday afternoon as well. I have a feeling I am going to get a lot of flies tied...

Today I tied up a bunch of rubber-leg Stimulators and a couple of Madame X's. there was a good crowd for a Friday, but there were also a couple of lulls, so I had a chance to walk around and look at booths, as well. I also had a chance to head outside to get some food at a food truck called Potter's Pasties and Pies. I got my very first pastie, which is not as titillating as the name might suggest. It's essentially a gourmet Hot Pocket, with meat, veggies, potatoes, and gravy inside of it. It was very good! And big! If you are heading down to the Expo over the next couple of days and find yourself hankering for some food, I would recommend you try one.

Let's take a look at day one of the 2018 Great Water Fly Fishing Expo, as seen through my phone!

My fly tying table at the Expo
Rubber Leg Stimulator
What was left of my pastie when I realized I should take a picture of it...
A T-shirt that was for sale at one of the booths. I want one...

No comments:

Post a Comment