"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Monday, February 15, 2016

Rod Review - Anglers Roost Fiberglass Rod

I only have one "modern" fiberglass fly rod, and this is it. It's a 3-piece, 6'10" 3/4 weight rod, and it was made with an Angler's Roost blank by Shane Gray of Graywolf Rods, which is located in Britton, Michigan. Shane used the blank as a tool to teach some students how to build rods, including stripping the old paint off the blank, repainting, adding a clear coat finish, turning cork to make a grip, and wrapping thread. I don't know what color this rod started out as, but now it is a lovely translucent yellow color, with very nice green thread wraps. In Shane's own words, it is "not the best looking rod", but I think it is beautiful! The wraps seem perfect, the cork grip and reel seat seem flawless, and the whole package is wonderful. Plus, it casts like a dream! I am not usually a fan of 3-weight rods, since I tend to favor the all-around capabilities of 5- and 6-weights, but this rod is perfect for small streams where I know I will be casting dry flies, and also for a lazy summer evening casting foam spiders for big bluegills. The action is very similar to my only other 3-weight rod, an older Orvis graphite rod from the mid-1990s.

If you are a rod-builder, I would highly recommend you check out the blanks you can get from the Angler's Roost. If you aren't a rod-builder, like me, I would suggest you talk to Shane Gray at Graywolf Rods and see if he can set you up with one. If he thinks this rod of mine is not all that great looking, I can't imagine how nice his other rods are!


1 comment:

  1. Hey your rod looks awesome! I bet the fish like it too.I love the feeling of a fibreglass rod with a fish on it

    ReplyDelete