"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Kickoff, Times 2

Alright, time to kick this thing off again. I have been doing too much thinking and not enough writing, and it's time to change that up. So, here is my first real post here on The Riffle. It is February 2nd, also known as Groundhog Day, also known as my dearly departed grandmother Ethel's birthday. I think she would have been about 108 or so, if she was alive, but she's been gone for almost 20 years now. Here in the Twin Cities we are in the middle of our first real snowstorm of the season. Up until now we have gotten the occasional dusting of snow, with a couple of 2-4 inchers thrown in, but for the most part it has been a very weak winter so far. Please don't think I am complaining about that. If I had my druthers I would wish for a brown winter every year. But I guess a good pack of snow come springtime will be good for the health of our local rivers, so I shouldn't complain about the snow either. Fine, I will find something else to complain about...

But not here, and not now. Instead I will let you know what I have in store for this blog. I am very excited that I just got my hands on my first HD video camera, and the plan is to start shooting loads of fly tying tutorials. First up will be "Highly Adequate Parachutes", in which I will show my own technique for tying good looking parachute hackles every time. After that will be tutorials on nymphs, streamers, wet flies, emergers and some specialized techniques to help you tie great flies. Plus there will be a series of videos about fly tying basics, so if you are just getting started you can have a place to come to help hone your skills.

Along with the tutorials we will have equipment reviews which will pretty much be focused on stuff I like to use. So, be ready to read about vintage rods, modern reels, books filled with short stories that I can read while in my "library", if you know what I mean, and whatever else catches my eye. We will also be previewing and reviewing the fly fishing expos that will be happening locally in the next couple of months, and once I get out on the water I will write some posts showing off all the huge fish I am bound to catch. Or I will steal photos off the internet if I have to...

Make sure you keep an eye on this page so you don't miss out on anything. If you'd like I can call you every time I post something. I should warn you that my posts often "go live" at 2 or 3 in the morning, but I'm sure you won't mind waking up to read my stuff...

See ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment