"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Top 10 Spots I Want To Fish

I spend a lot of time thinking about places I want to fish. I guess that's part of the charm of this sport, daydreaming about far-off places that may or may not have bigger fish than you are used to. In my daydreams they are all monsters...




I've been quite a few places already, and the fishing has always been at least adequate, but not necessarily any better than it is back home. I've taken several trips to Colorado, fished in the Ozarks, been to Yellowstone, and fished for migratory trout and salmon in Great Lake tributaries. All the trips have been memorable, but the fishing hasn't always been great. I've been skunked in some very famous destinations. Still, as a lifelong fly fisherman, I can't help but think that there are more and bigger fish in other places, so I have put together a list of my Top Ten Spots I Want To Fish Some Day.



In no particular order, they are:

1. That one little lake I used to fish with my Grandpa 35 years ago that was full of 10" long bass. I haven't seen anyone fishing it since, even though it's right there in front of everyone's faces...

2. That lake I drive by every time I take the 2-year-old up to my mom's apartment on Mondays. It looks super fishy, but I don't know how to get access...

3. That trout stream out West that flows through the golf course...

4. The pond on the 18th hole of the golf course I used to work at. I think there are bass in there...

5. That one tributary to my favorite trout stream that is full of brookies...

6. That one trout lake that I caught all those rainbows in up near the Canadian border. Maybe next time I will catch one of the elusive splake that are supposedly in there...

7. That one urban lake that used to be filled with giant sunfish, until the one year that it wasn't, causing me to not go back since...

8. The Bighorn...

9. That smallmouth river that makes me feel either brutal or brilliant whenever I have fished it. In my daydreams I am always brilliant...

10. Pretty much anywhere that has fish...

Well, that's my list. I hope you weren't expecting me to give up any secret spots. I would be silly to do that here on the internet, where anyone could come along and read it. I might be willing to sell my soul for clicks on the ol' blog, but I'm not stupid...




No comments:

Post a Comment