"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Saturday, October 14, 2017

A Scott and his Scotts

I have developed a deep appreciation for Scotts. And I don't mean myself, or even other humans named Scott. Despite the fact that I do like myself, and even have a few friends named Scott, those aren't the Scotts I am talking about. The Scotts I am referring to are Scott fly rods, and to be even more specific, Scott fiberglass fly rods. I have owned a few Scott graphite fly rods over the years, and they were nice, too, but at this particular point in time the only Scotts I own are of the fiberglass variety, and they are sweet!

Me and one of my Scotts. Photo by Bryon Tang
As you may already know, my rod arsenal is always changing, but at the moment I own three Scott glass rods. First up is an F754/3, a sweet dark gray 7'6" 4wt. Next up is an F2 774/3, a lovely yellow 7'7" 4wt. Lastly I have an older yellow Pow-R Ply 8' 5wt. They each are their own rod, and have their own individual feel, but I like them all. The two 4 weights are both light and crisp, perfect dry fly rods. The Pow-R-Ply 5wt has a feel all its own. At first it feels quite heavy in the hand, which isn't a feeling that fills me with confidence. But as soon as I start casting it, it comes alive. It can make any cast I want to try with it. I can make delicate presentations with small dries, I can cast weighted nymphs and indicators all day, and I can boom long casts into the wind. It's pretty amazing.
This Scott really loves his Scotts!
The F754/3 with a cute little bluegill
The F2 774/3 on a lovely Driftless stream


The Pow-R-Ply 8' 5wt, after a chunky brook trout flopped out of the photo. I promise, it was a brute...




2 comments:

  1. What types of flies are you using with the F2 774? Single dry? Tandem dries? Dry dropper? Single nymph?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James! Thanks for the question. I would say that 50% of the time I am using a single fly, 35% of the time I would use a nymph + football-style indicator, and 15% of the time I would use a dry and dropper rig. The biggest fly I have cast with my F2 is probably a size 6 bead-head wooly bugger, with some extra lead wraps under the body. Pretty meaty, but the F2 handled it pretty well.

      Delete