"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Wonderod Month

It's "Wonderod Month" in one of my favorite Facebook groups that is geared towards fishing with vintage fiberglass fly rods, which just happens to be one of my favorite things to do. If you don't know what a Wonderod is, what rock have you been living under for the past 70 years? Shakespeare Wonderods were one of the most popular line of fly rods ever made, and most of the Wonderods that I have cast have been very nice casting tools, as well. At this point in time I only own one Wonderod, a sweet little 910UL, which is a 7' 5wt, or in other words, the perfect panfish fly rod.

I haven't gotten out much during this "Wonderod Month", but I have found an hour here and there to sneak over to one of my local lakes and tease some bass and bluegills. Every time I have fished this month I have used my Wonderod, and every time I have used my Wonderod it has had a black foam spider with orange rubber legs tied onto the end of the leader. And I don't mean that I have used the same pattern all month long, I mean I have used the same fly. This one fly has caught almost 200 fish, and it just now is starting to fall apart. I guess I need to tie another one, huh? Oh, hey, that will make a good tying video for the ol' blog...

Most of the fish I have caught have been in the small-to-medium size range, but there have been a handful of bruisers. Below are two of the best, a big ol' bluegill and a moderately sized bass.

Happy "Wonderod Month" to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment