"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Sunday, January 24, 2021

The Sixes- 2021 Edition

I don't think I have ever written about my 6-weight rods before. Which means that it's high time that I do, don'tcha think? I don't have nearly as many 6-weights as I do 4- and 5-weights, but the ones I have are just as sweet. What am I waiting for?!?!


Only five 6-weights...

First up is one of the sweetest glass rods ever made. It's a 7'6" Vince Cummings River Rat. The River Rat came in a few different lengths and line ratings, but this is the only variation I have ever waggled. My former boss at Bob Mitchell's Fly Shop, Mike Alwin, has a River Rat that he built from a blank, but he never actually showed it to me, despite years of my nagging and whining. Last year I found this one for sale, so I snapped it up as fast as I could. I guess I showed him, huh?

River Rat

I just recently acquired this 4-piece 7'6" 6-weight Berkley Parametric. I haven't actually even had a chance to put a reel on it and take it out in the yard for a test spin. That is the problem with acquiring fly rods in Minnesota in January...

It still has its emblem!

My third 6-weight is a powerful Sage 679SFL glass rod. This is pretty much a perfect bass rod. I used to have its cousin, the 686SFL, which was a total powerhouse. In fact, it was too powerful for me. It felt like a 7- or 8-weight rod instead of a 6. I know it's crazy that I sold one of my Sage glass rods, which some people would say borders on lunacy, but I like the 679 much better.


Next up is the glass rod that I have owned the longest, if I do my math correctly. It's an 8' Berkley Parametric 6-weight that I acquired, along with a couple of other glass rods, a long time ago. You can find Parametrics around quite often, but finding one with a spigot ferrule, like this one, is sort of rare. I don't think this one had ever been cast before I got it. Parametrics are not for everyone, but I love mine!

Berkley Parametric 8-footer

I don't know this to be 100% fact, but I fully believe that the first generation of yellow Scott Pow-R Ply glass rods were built on blanks supplied to them from Lamiglas. Which pretty much means that my vintage yellow Lamiglas Galaxy 5-piece 8' 6-weight pack rod is also a Scott, am I right? It sure looks a lot like my yellow Scott 5-weight. And they feel very similar while casting, too, although the Lamiglas doesn't feel quite as weird when not casting. Whatever the case, it's sweet!

Lamiglas Galaxy 8-footer

Well, that was a short and sweet list of 6-weight rods, huh? Since I don't have very many 6-weight rods. I don't need as many 6-weight reels, either. In fact I only have two. First up is my beloved Lamson LP-2 that I have had for eons. Second is a lovely Nautilus FWX 5/6. Talk about a reel that purrs, the Nautilus is like a full-grown panther getting its belly rubbed! It is smooth!


Not sure if I will write about my 3- or 7-weights... Not very many of either, so we'll have to see. 5-weights are up next. Look for it in the next week or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment