"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Friday, January 1, 2021

End of 2020 Celebration

Happy 2021! I know 2020 was a bad year for some people, so it's good to move on to something new. Unlike a lot of people, my 2020 wasn't much different than any other year, and in fact there were some pretty good parts of it. 


One good thing that happened in 2020 was the tweaking of my rod and reel arsenal. I am always looking to try out new gear to see what I like. I don't know how many different rods and reels I have tried out over the past few years, trying to find the ones that especially speak to me, but it has been a lot. 2020 saw the accumulation of some great new stuff, and the moving on of some stuff that I couldn't find a connection with. I think I am finally to the point where I feel confident with pretty much every piece of fly fishing equipment I own. Although I have had that same thought before...

I have acquired some awesome new (actually lightly used) rods this year. The rod that gets me the most excited is my new Scott F794/4 glass rod. For one thing, it's a Scott, and every Scott glass rod I have ever cast has been super sweet. Secondly, it's a perfect size for pretty much all the trout fishing I do up here in the Upper Midwest: 7'10" 4-weight. Thirdly, it's a 4-piece pack rod, so it will work great when I hike in to more remote streams, like I plan to do on our Trout Trip 2021, which is planned for this upcoming May. This Scott rod is sure to be one of my favorites!

Scott F794/4, Yay!

Vince Cummings rods have an aura about them. Vince was a rod builder from back in the day. His fiberglass rods are hard to find. They are excellent casting tools, so nobody wants to get rid of theirs. Somehow I was lucky enough to obtain two of them this past year: a 7'6" River Rat, and a 7' 4wt Superlite. Both rods are as sweet as can be. I used the Superlite this fall while chasing trout in Southeast Minnesota. It handled small nypmhs and dries easily, and it had plenty of muscle for the size 6 and 8 BH Wooly Buggers I was throwing too. What a rod!

Vince Cummings Superlite 7' 4wt

First fish I ever caught on the Superlite.

After making a mental list of all the rods and reels I acquired in 2020, I have decided that there are too many to continue writing about in a single post, so look for them in future posts. I will be redoing my lists of 3-, 4-, 5-, and 6-weight rods in the near future. I will point out the new acquisitions in those posts. For now, have a very Happy New Year, and a wonderful 2021 filled with all the gear you desire! 

No comments:

Post a Comment