"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Camping Trip #1

The family and I just got back from our first family camping trip of the year. This was not a fishing trip, but I was hopeful that I would be able to get a little fishing in at some point during the weekend. There is a fair-to-middlin' trout stream in the State Park we stayed at, so I brought a rod with, just in case. I also brought along the rod I got for my kids to learn how to cast with, just in case any of them wanted to join me.

On Sunday evening we had some spare time, so my oldest daughter, who is 10, and I strolled down to the river to try our luck. We only brought the kids' rod with, because I wanted to be at the ready to help her out if need be, and when I have a rod of my own I tend to not be very observant of others...

We had a great time, my daughter did really well with her casting, I found several burning nettles and one tick with my legs, and we didn't catch any fish. But that's OK. We already have plans to go to another of my favorite streams in the near future. Maybe we can catch some fish there!
The Family Truckster, in all its outdoor glory.

The Family Camper, our home away from home that isn't nearly as large as our actual home...

I had never seen one of these before, a platform for putting your phone on and taking a selfie. What will those crazy Wisconsinites think of next?
The Wife and the two youngest kids climbed up to the top of the bluff and are waving to the camera. Can you see them?

The youngest child, who can't read, reading a book in one of the hammocks...

Trees






She's doing pretty well, for only casting a few times...
Where the river splits in two.

I notice more stuff when I bring my daughter along...

The pool we fished the most. It always looks fishy, but I don't remember ever catching anything there. Maybe I should take the hint...

A fun way to end the evening. And this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment