"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Fly Focus:Crane Fly

Crane flies are starting to get the recognition they deserve as an important food item in a lot of trout streams. When I first got into the sport, nobody mentioned crane flies, or if they did, it was just in passing and it went in one of my ears and out the other. But things are starting to change, and crane flies are finally starting to get some love. Woot! for crane flies!


Around here, crane flies seem to be most prolific in the warm summer months. I have spent several long evenings on my favorite streams in June and July, fully expecting to see some sulphur mayflies or light cahills emerging, but instead finding prolific hatches of small, size 16, golden colored crane flies driving the trout mad. At first I struggled to adequately match the hatch, but I have found a beautiful fly that should work perfectly.

I am not sure who invented this fly, but Brian at Lund's Fly Shop asked me to tie several dozen for him this year, and I will be tying a couple of extra dozen for my own boxes. If you want to tie your own, check out the tying tutorial below. Or if you aren't into tying, contact Brian at Lund's to order some. I think you will be glad you did!


No comments:

Post a Comment