"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Monday, March 25, 2019

The Winston Man

There's something a little different about a Winston man. He doesn't worry about what society says. He doesn't kowtow to peer pressure. He walks to the beat of his own drum, and he likes it that way. A Winston man is the epitome of awesome.

This guy is definitely a Winston man, but not as much of a Winston man as he would have been if he owned a Winston fly rod, like me...
I know all this because I am a Winston man. I became one on Saturday, and a wave of certainty about all those facts engulfed me like a tsunami. I always knew I was cool, but my level of coolness multiplied my a million as soon as I unsheathed my new Winston rod. And what a rod it is!
Winston men don't show much emotion, even if they have just acquired a new Winston fly rod...

It's a beautiful 7'6" 4wt Winston glass rod that is in immaculate condition. It came from the estate of a local fly fishing Doctor, Patrick Daly, who I have known for a long time. Even though I didn't know for sure, I always had my suspicions that Patrick was a Winston man. He used to come and hang out at the fly shop I worked at for hours on end, telling stories of his adventures around the world and working on his ever-present crossword puzzles. He was a great guy, and I am very lucky to have acquired one of his rods.

A Winston man doesn't blather on and on about his fly rods, though, so I will stop now. Instead I will let you gaze at it longingly for yourself. Who knows, maybe some day you can be a Winston man like me. Well, maybe not as awesome as me, but as awesome as you can be...






Even the guy on the label is obviously a Winston man. Look at how cool he looks!


No comments:

Post a Comment