"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Friday, March 10, 2017

In Print

I have seen my name in print a bunch of times, and let me tell you, it hasn't gotten old. Granted, most of the times that my name has been in print, I put it there. You see, I have been an Editor of two different publications in my life, and in both of those roles, it was oftentimes much easier for me to sit down and write whatever article needed writing than it was to find someone else who had the time or urge to write it.

RipRap
My first foray as an Editor was when I took over the publishing of my local Trout Unlimited Chapter's monthly newsletter, RipRap. I think that was around 2007, and I did it for about 6 years. In those 6 years, I wrote many articles and took many photographs, and got better and better at laying out a publication. It was fun. It won the Bollinger Award for best TU Newsletter in the country. And I got to see my name in print a lot.

I also had the opportunity to see my name in a now-defunct regional golf magazine called North Country Golf that I launched back in 2010. I put out a total of 8 issues over two years, I wrote about 95% of the content, took about 95% of the photos, did 100% of the layout, ad sales, marketing, and distribution, which is probably why it is now defunct. To be honest, I almost went defunct trying to get it all done, not to mention the fact that I still had a full-time job, a part-time job, and two kids under the age of 2 at the time. What was I thinking?!?! It was fun to see my name in print, though...
Every issue of North Country Golf. If you'd like to check it out, let me know. I can hook you up!

Which brings me to my latest endeavor. I recently found out that Fly Tyer magazine was going to run another of my articles. This one is titled Highly Adequate Parachute Flies, and it is in the Spring 2017 issue which is on news stands now. My first article for Fly Tyer ran in the Autumn 2014 issue, and that was about CDC-Enhanced Nymphs. I suppose, since I am tooting my own horn here, I should mention that I also had an article in The Drake a few years ago. You can read that one in its entirety HERE.

So, if you have a chance, check out Fly Tyer in the next couple of months. Perhaps I will have another article in a future issue. I might as well try, it's fun to see my name in print!

No comments:

Post a Comment