"Sometimes, you just need to go downstairs and waggle a rod..." - Scott Hanson

"Write what you know. If you don't know, make it up..." - Scott Hanson

"A dude can't live on just two fly rods alone..." - Scott Hanson

Man, I have some deep thoughts...

Monday, March 14, 2016

Expo Time!

The trout fishing is really starting to ramp up around here, at least that's what I've heard, and that means one other thing: it's Fly Fishing Expo time! This is the first year that I can remember that there are two fly fishing-themed expos here in the greater Twin Cities area. This past weekend was the very first River Falls Fly Fishing Expo, held on the lovely campus of the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, just a half hour or so from St. Paul. I was fortunate to be able to have a booth at the show, and I even got to put on a fly tying seminar. It was loads of fun, I got to hang out with some cool fly fishers, and I even sold some flies. What could be better?

The Great Waters Expo is this coming weekend, at Century College in White Bear Lake. This well-established show is being run by a new batch of people this year, and is at a new venue. I will also be tying and doing a seminar at that show, if you can believe that they would let me. Hope to see you there!
My booth at the River Falls Expo

My old friend and mentor, Mike Alwin.

A unique crane fly imitation tied by my friend, Ryan Myers.

Clouser Minnows tied by Ryan Myers

Some of the other inhabitants of Fly Tyers' Row

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you did a write up about Saturday as I wasn't able to make it. Now I feel as though I was there the whole time. Just a minor correction you referred to it as the River Falls Fly Fishing Expo when it was actually called the River Falls Fly Fishing Festival. It's the only way the R4F thing works is if there are 4 F words after river. Tight Lines :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, it was R4F, and not R3F1E, wasn't it? The former rolls off the tongue much better than the latter, or vice versa. I can never remember which is which.

      Delete